FN0918-RECREATIONAL – Salmon – Region 2 – Non-Tidal Waters of the Fraser River – Pink Salmon Opportunities – Effective September 11, 2021

The recreational fishery for salmon in the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River will open as noted below. The Department is planning this limited duration fishery opening for more abundant pink salmon with a cautious approach to minimize impacts on Fraser River sockeye.


Waters: Non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from the downstream side of the CPR Bridge at Mission upstream to the Highway 1 Bridge at Hope.

Management measures:

Effective September 11, 2021 until September 21, 2021:


  • The daily limit for Pink salmon is two (2).
  • You may not retain Chinook, Coho, or Chum salmon.
  • No fishing for Sockeye salmon.
  • You may not use bait when fishing for salmon.

Anglers fishing for salmon in the Fraser River are required to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities avoid impacts on sockeye and Coho salmon. Any sockeye or Coho encountered must be released with the least possible harm. The recreational community is requested to fish selectively when fishing for other salmon species. The first principle of selective harvest is to avoid catching non-targeted stocks.  This means that anglers are requested to use angling methods that do not catch sockeye or Coho.

Anglers should be aware that the First Nations food, social and ceremonial fishery is open in this area. Anglers are encouraged to minimize or eliminate any gear conflict in this area. Please be diligent when harvesting and navigating in this area and exercise patience when and if in contact with other fishers.


Variation Order(s): 2021-RFQ-497, 2021-RCT-498


The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4). Individual species limits also apply.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters and non-tidal waters in British Columbia.

The term “marked” means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

If you’re going fishing for salmon in non-tidal (fresh) waters, you need a Non-Tidal Angling Licence, issued by the Province of British Columbia. Visit the provincial website to buy your licence. Licences are available to B.C. residents and non-residents. Fees may vary and are listed online. (www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences)

For More Information:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.