Join the 5,000 plus visitors from around the Lower Mainland who come out to celebrate and witness the return of thousands of Salmon, back to their birthplace to lay and fertilize their eggs. This free family event provides the opportunity to observe salmon up close and learn about their life cycle through educational displays, salmon dissections and in-stream demonstrations.
Hyde Park Locations for the event are the Port Coquitlam Recreation Centre at 1379 Laurier Avenue and The Hyde Creek Education Centre & Hatchery at 3636 Coast Meridian Road, in Port Coquitlam. Both venues are linked by a short trail along Hyde Creek, which is well-marked by colourful banners.
Highlights of the Festival will include:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada displaying live salmon (up close!)
- Orphaned Wildlife Society (OWL) exhibiting a live raptor
- Salmon dissections and microscope investigations
- A gigantic “blue fish” with live storyteller and interactive costumes
- Face painting and cookie decorating for the young-at-heart
- Enjoy refreshments at our fundraising Salmon BBQ, hosted by Save On Foods and the Culinary Students of District #43
- Looking for local flora and fauna on a guided nature walk
- Visit an operating salmon hatchery
- Opportunity to win exciting prizes at our Raffle table
- 36 Environmentally motivated Exhibitors
- Local Vendors with environmentally themed hand-made treasures for sale
Special thanks to co-sponsor City of Port Coquitlam, and to our corporate sponsors, Downtown Port Coquitlam BIA, Fortis BC, Metro Ford, Port of Vancouver, Vancity-Port Coquitlam.