Wet spring bad for wildlife offspring?

#1 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

I went for a walk the other day and found four dead grouse chicks. Then a few days ago a friend and fellow obsessed turkey hunter emailed me that he found several dead turkey chicks. We've had an exceptionally wet spring. Here in Merritt, a usually try and hot area in the spring, it was cold and rained for over four weeks, heck we had freak snowfalls here as late as the end of May.

Wet and cold springs are the number one enemy for wildlife offspring. In these wet and cold weather conditions it doesn't take much for newborn fawns, bear cubs, elk calves or newly hatched grouse, turkeys and other game birds to catch pneumonia and die off. With my own discovery of the dead grouse chicks and the message about the dead turkey poults I am afraid that this might be a year that will take more than just the average toll on wildlife populations whose negative impact will be felt next year and thereafter. How many of you discovered any dead or sickly looking wildlife offspring this spring?

#2 User is offline   KenKelowna Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

The Bighorn sheep in the okanagan apear to have survived very well.
Many lambs have been spotted by Bear Creek and Vasaux Lake area.
We did have a wet spring inthe Okanagan.

#3 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

That's great news KenKelowna. Sheep, even lambs, are usually better suited for cold and wet weather then grouse and turkey poults or fawns for that matter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users