• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where have the moose gone BC wildlife

#1 User is offline   Doright Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Where have all the moose gone
Hunters in the Prince George and surrounding area are finding it more and more difficult to find a moose every year. I am fortunate to be able to take 5 to 7 weeks off ever hunting season. I have talked to a lot of hunters and they are leaving the bush year after year with no meat in the freezer. Lots of hunters are against cow calf season, they believe that by taking the cow or calf is depleting future moose, according to fish and wildlife 10 moose poached in one area is a lose of 60 to 70 moose in five years. They also say that only 2% of poaching incidents are reported.
So this being true why are they allowing cow/ calf season. I talked to a conservation officer a couple years ago, and when I asked him why they have it. His response was I quote (Its to generate money) I asked him if he would give me that in writing, he replied no I like my job. The poaching in BC is at an all time high, I have found 4 large bulls in 4 consecutive years that have been shot and left. All these moose were shot on the road. So if I can find 4 moose shot and left in one area, how many are left each year. There are not enough conservation officers in the Prince George area, their needs to be a lot more. Now let’s look at natural predators wolfs and bears do kill moose and they always have and yes they do take a lot down. Since all teran vehicles have come out, hunters have been shooting moose in areas that were so remote where before they would not even think of shooting one. So these remote pockets of moose are getting less.
The BC government would have you believe that wolfs are the main cause of the moose lose. This is a lot further from the truth than they would have you believe.
They will not blame themselves for total gross negligent are their part.
When the LEH hunting cards first came out they told us give us ten years and we would have an over abundant of moose in BC. That was over 30 years ago and still here we are. When I asked a Biologist what he had to say about a alack of moose In Prince George area. He informed me that the moose population has been stable for years. These guys need to get out in the field more and quit looking at numbers and graphs. The hunting questioner that is supposed to be filled out ever year for those that hunt is a joke. I know a lot of hunters that throw them in the garbage or just outright lie on them. Do you really think that poachers fill them out correctly? So for them to use this information to base how many animals are harvested every year is a bigger joke.
What is worse is they extended calf season. Your trading 140lb animal for one that’s 340 lbs the following year. And those of you that say 140 lbs of meat is all you need is hogwash, ever hunter I run across that is hunting cow/calf there is always at least two of you. A lot of cows shot in October are already pregnant, so you are killing up to 3 moose. Now lets look at the BC biggest killer CN Rail, they kill thousands of moose, deer, elk, etc you name it. If it is on the tracks they kill it. This happens every year in our province. There is nothing done about it. Sections where animals are being hit the most need to be fenced off, runaway lanes need to be plowed when the snow is deep. We are building overpasses on our highways to protect our wildlife, why are we not doing something on our rail tracks, because the average Joe does not see the carnage on the tracks he sees on the highway. Take a trip on the passenger train in late spring to McBride or Terrace, ever 100 meters there is a blood splatter. I talked to a Train man that had made 23 trips to Chetwynd in a 4 week period he told me that he hit 21 moose, times that by how many trains are running around the clock. He’s supposed to phone it in so they will come out and dispatch the animal that’s laying there with its legs cut off. He told me he does phone it in but He sees the animal still laying there 24 hours latter. He also told me that his boss has told him to speed up when he sees an animal not slow down. This I imagine is so they don’t have to pay someone to come out and kill it. Its Getting worse not better The government Would have you spend your hard earned dollars on tags, license, fuel, groceries, etc.
And have you believe the moose population is alive and well.
I know of a few guys that don’t hunt anymore, they have taken matters into there own hands by putting in cow draws and if they get the draws they put them in their desk and don’t use them. If 10 cows are saved that means an increase of 60 to 70 moose in 5 years are saved. So if you know any one that does not hunt, have them put in cow draws since BC Biologist is more interested in keeping the money flowing then in conservation.

#2 User is offline   NWSM Icon

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostDoright, on 14 February 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Where have all the moose gone
Hunters in the Prince George and surrounding area are finding it more and more difficult to find a moose every year. I am fortunate to be able to take 5 to 7 weeks off ever hunting season. I have talked to a lot of hunters and they are leaving the bush year after year with no meat in the freezer. Lots of hunters are against cow calf season, they believe that by taking the cow or calf is depleting future moose, according to fish and wildlife 10 moose poached in one area is a lose of 60 to 70 moose in five years. They also say that only 2% of poaching incidents are reported.
So this being true why are they allowing cow/ calf season. I talked to a conservation officer a couple years ago, and when I asked him why they have it. His response was I quote (Its to generate money) I asked him if he would give me that in writing, he replied no I like my job. The poaching in BC is at an all time high, I have found 4 large bulls in 4 consecutive years that have been shot and left. All these moose were shot on the road. So if I can find 4 moose shot and left in one area, how many are left each year. There are not enough conservation officers in the Prince George area, their needs to be a lot more. Now let’s look at natural predators wolfs and bears do kill moose and they always have and yes they do take a lot down. Si

nce all teran vehicles have come out, hunters have been shooting moose in areas that were so remote where before they would not even think of shooting one. So these remote pockets of moose are getting less.
The BC government would have you believe that wolfs are the main cause of the moose lose. This is a lot further from the truth than they would have you believe.
They will not blame themselves for total gross negligent are their part.
When the LEH hunting cards first came out they told us give us ten years and we would have an over abundant of moose in BC. That was over 30 years ago and still here we are. When I asked a Biologist what he had to say about a alack of moose In Prince George area. He informed me that the moose population has been stable for years. These guys need to get out in the field more and quit looking at numbers and graphs. The hunting questioner that is supposed to be filled out ever year for those that hunt is a joke. I know a lot of hunters that throw them in the garbage or just outright lie on them. Do you really think that poachers fill them out correctly? So for them to use this information to base how many animals are harvested every year is a bigger joke.
What is worse is they extended calf season. Your trading 140lb animal for one that’s 340 lbs the following year. And those of you that say 140 lbs of meat is all you need is hogwash, ever hunter I run across that is hunting cow/calf there is always at least two of you. A lot of cows shot in October are already pregnant, so you are killing up to 3 moose. Now lets look at the BC biggest killer CN Rail, they kill thousands of moose, deer, elk, etc you name it. If it is on the tracks they kill it. This happens every year in our province. There is nothing done about it. Sections where animals are being hit the most need to be fenced off, runaway lanes need to be plowed when the snow is deep. We are building overpasses on our highways to protect our wildlife, why are we not doing something on our rail tracks, because the average Joe does not see the carnage on the tracks he sees on the highway. Take a trip on the passenger train in late spring to McBride or Terrace, ever 100 meters there is a blood splatter. I talked to a Train man that had made 23 trips to Chetwynd in a 4 week period he told me that he hit 21 moose, times that by how many trains are running around the clock. He’s supposed to phone it in so they will come out and dispatch the animal that’s laying there with its legs cut off. He told me he does phone it in but He sees the animal still laying there 24 hours latter. He also told me that his boss has told him to speed up when he sees an animal not slow down. This I imagine is so they don’t have to pay someone to come out and kill it. Its Getting worse not better The government Would have you spend your hard earned dollars on tags, license, fuel, groceries, etc.
And have you believe the moose population is alive and well.
I know of a few guys that don’t hunt anymore, they have taken matters into there own hands by putting in cow draws and if they get the draws they put them in their desk and don’t use them. If 10 cows are saved that means an increase of 60 to 70 moose in 5 years are saved. So if you know any one that does not hunt, have them put in cow draws since BC Biologist is more interested in keeping the money flowing then in conservation.

Interesting article, I personally haven't seen a decline, I guess that depends where you go and pressure from hunters.
Can't comment on CN as I never seen it but I don't like to see people putting in for LEH's and non hunters getting them, you're taking meat off their table! I say thats a non hunter ethic that doesn't help the entire cause, I see your frustration but don't like those comments.

#3 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Here in region 3 we see decent moose numbers, mostly cows, but poaching is a big problem too. Our CO told me that they have found and received reports of six poached moose in the greater Merritt area alone. Many of the poached moose are left whole while others have only their hindquarters taken. One of the moose had a decent size rack yet the poachers only took the hindquarters. The CO has no clue how many more are left shot dead but fears it may be twice as many. It's a big dilemma since CO's, due to funding cuts, are not able to patrol all the areas they should.

#4 User is offline   murlo Icon

• Pip
  • Locationuk

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

really very good and interesting article.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users