BC Outdoors Forum: River fishing with shrimp - BC Outdoors Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

River fishing with shrimp How to set up properly??

#1 User is offline   fishdodger Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Can someone please tell me the best way to fish using shrimp? I cured some shrimp about 2" long & have read conflicting ways to use them. Some articles say to cut the shrimp into 2-3 pieces, others say to leave them whole & run hook thru main body. I have also read to fish them with tail next to hook. Does the fish bite head or tail?

#2 User is offline   platypus Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postfishdodger, on 27 January 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

Can someone please tell me the best way to fish using shrimp? I cured some shrimp about 2" long & have read conflicting ways to use them. Some articles say to cut the shrimp into 2-3 pieces, others say to leave them whole & run hook thru main body. I have also read to fish them with tail next to hook. Does the fish bite head or tail?

--just a guess but from observing shrimp in aquarium.. when forraging they walk forward.. fleeing may use tail to pulse backward but often still tend to run forward rather than swim..so I'd say rig the shrimp the way you intend to fish it.
--If slow drift along bottom hook shrimp front.. if faster drift or mid water may want to try from tail. Some people just fish the tail no head etc.
--I haven't used shrimp as bait much but have some soft plastic... tail immmitation and also fly immitations... again.. some fly's tied eyes toward line others eyes toward back of hook... for use in different situations.
--Think you could also wacky rig.. hook in middle because if shrimp was in current it would likley be tumbling along with current and not even necessarily upright.
I'm sure you'll get many other oppinions.
--Always the PS... make sure bait legal in area you're fishing.. Regs sometimes change depending on season.

#3 User is offline   flyfishingcouple Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

You are drifting them in a river - orientation has little or no bearing. Guys that drift sand shrimp or 'bugs' use Fire Line or something similar to bind the shrimp on the hook. They are soft buggers and if you don't bind them, they fall apart after a couple of casts. When they are fresh they are the dope though!!
Rigging whole live sand shrimp

Sewing shrimp on with the leader

Looks to me like orientation is only useful for function in keeping the critters on the hook?

Can't seem to find any links that talk about binding them on though. I've never actually done it - I don't fish bait unless it's for sturgeon. :)

#4 User is offline   speycaster Icon

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Probably will not work now because of the rarity of the product, but back in the late sixties and early seventies when I was a bait fisherman I found the only good use for golf balls. At that time they had a wound rubber core, sort of like fine rubber bands, hundreds of feet of the stuff. You cut the golf ball open with a hack saw ( I really loved doing that ) there was your fine red rubber strands, you threaded the ghost shrimp on the hook and used this nice stretchy rubber to over wrap the shrimp onto the hook. I never had one come off while casting, some would even last for a couple of fish. If I was doing it now I would probably put the shrimp in a roe bag to keep them together. The fish go by smell and taste so the bag should not make a difference and besides when the float goes down it is game on, not like the fish is going to get to choose between several offerings. :D

#5 User is offline   F-er Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Shrimp/prawn, fresh or cooked can be used whole or cut into pieces (size will be dictated by water conditions)
Clearer = smaller
Darker = bigger

Use a bait loop or Spider Thread to attach to the hook.

I usually add a small tuft of wool: peach, red, pink...........

I don't like hooking it in the middle of a whole shrimp as some do to make it spin.
I find this kinks up the leader even with a good swivel.
(Although some times I will add a small spin n glow to add some action.)

As pointed out by flyfishingcouple:
in the river a shrimp would be drifting along in the current like a piece of row or a worm not swimming.
So..... head first, tail first wouldn't neccessarily make or break the deal.
It's the scent and visibility that provide the ques (with a proper, natural drift)

I usually add salt to my shrimp to harden them up a bit, drain off the juice and roll them in a bit of borax.
I don't use procure for steelhead (as I usually add wool for the color) but I do occasionally for salmon.

Having said that Ghost/Sand shrimp can be quite effective for finicky fish but you can't buy them, you have to dig them, they have to be kept alive.
Used to use them often but not so much anymore.
A bit of a hassle and Not the best use of time for those learning the basics but If you have the time to try them go for it
BUT!!!!! they are not the magic bullet as some new folk seem to think.
(IMHO)

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users