BC Outdoors Forum: Advice on Port Alberni ocean fishing/camping - BC Outdoors Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice on Port Alberni ocean fishing/camping

#1 User is offline   beachbum Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Would like to go out to Barkley sound next summer and want to avoid logging roads.
Me and a couple buddies have a motorhome,truck and 23ft proline walkaround with 200hp suzuki.

Any tips on where to camp,launch,moor for a week end?

I went to renfrew a couple of times last year and had no trouble fitting in last minute for short stays.We moored at renfrew marina and camped at fairy lake.

:unsure:

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hey Beachbum, before you get the address for posting your pics, bring it up full sized. We are only getting the thumbnail.

#3 User is offline   beachbum Icon

• Pip
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

is this better?I had to resize 2592 x 1944 pixels to 25% of original size with paint program or else your site wouldn't let it thru.
That was june at renfrew last year got two twentyish pounder salmons and a fifteenish lb hali on salmon gear.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great pics but you shouldn't have to do all that.

Just click on the picture you are wanting to post and bring up the full sized image. Then right click on the picture and select "properties" and copy the address there. some browsers such as Chrome give you an option for "copy image url" use that. Then when you are making your post select the little painting icon and copy the address in there, make sure you erase the stuff that's already in the box first because the http stuff will be in your copied address.

You can also put your pics on the BCO trophy wall on the forums homepage, that has an option for copying the address right on it.

Just pm me if you are still having trouble.

#5 User is offline   Kettlefisher Icon

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationGrand Forks, B.C.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Postbeachbum, on 22 January 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

is this better?I had to resize 2592 x 1944 pixels to 25% of original size with paint program or else your site wouldn't let it thru.
That was june at renfrew last year got two twentyish pounder salmons and a fifteenish lb hali on salmon gear.

Excellent !!

Bud
I am a rookie angler and until I have spent as much time on the water as I have working for a living I will remain a rookie......when I turn 113 I will consider myself to be an angler.

#6 User is offline   Blainedrick Icon

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

There are 2 ways to fish Barclay Sound as a self guide with your own boat and camp.

1) Poett Nook - Port Alberni

Drive to Port Alberni, past toward China Creek, on to Poett Nook Marina and Campground. You will fish the south end of Barclay Sound and Bamfield areas, which will be great sockeye fishing, especially early in the summer. You can also launch in China Creek, or Port Alberni and run the hour to Poett Nook. The link above takes you to the marina website.

The commute to calm fishing zones is relatively short here: 3-10 miles from the marina is pretty good.

2) Ukluelet

"Ukee" is great fishing all summer, but the camping is not so good. Surfer's Paradise is a bit of a drive, so every morning you have to drive to the dock. The daily commute to fishing grounds is okay. The 5 mile ledge and the 7 mile ledge off shore is where the action is. You fish off shore in the morning and return to the north end of Barclay Sound for the afternoon when it gets windy.

The road to Ukee is winding and rough on trailers and bearings, but it's a million percent better than Nootka.

If camping next to your boat is what you after, then Poett Nook is where I'd look first, especially if your boat is 21' or under.

Attached File(s)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users