• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ice fishing What's up with this weather

#1 User is offline   platypus Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

--I went out to get some pictures of ice fishing at two popular winter kokanee ice fishing spots and both had open water... Not just a little but almost totally ice free.
--Maybe January will bring some sub zero temps for the lower interior lakes.

--Have a new fishing kayak on the way but wasn't expecting to be able to try it out around here until spring... but I won't cancel my Feb trip to the Island as that was my official excuse to go there and try the new boat. Well maybe Deep Purple concert in Victoria is real reason for Feb trip but might have room for the Kayak.

#2 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Postplatypus, on 01 January 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

--I went out to get some pictures of ice fishing at two popular winter kokanee ice fishing spots and both had open water... Not just a little but almost totally ice free.
--Maybe January will bring some sub zero temps for the lower interior lakes.

--Have a new fishing kayak on the way but wasn't expecting to be able to try it out around here until spring... but I won't cancel my Feb trip to the Island as that was my official excuse to go there and try the new boat. Well maybe Deep Purple concert in Victoria is real reason for Feb trip but might have room for the Kayak.

Lots of ice up north here. Haven't been on the ice yet but I just bought myself a two wheel, two wheel drive ATV that I need an excuse to try in the snow so I might get out soon. In the meantime though I'm off to the sunshine coast for a week so maybe I'll bring my watermaster and get out on some of that open water again!

#3 User is offline   Happy Fisherman Icon

• PipPip
  • LocationMaple Ridge BC Canada

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostTrevor Shpeley, on 01 January 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Lots of ice up north here. Haven't been on the ice yet but I just bought myself a two wheel, two wheel drive ATV that I need an excuse to try in the snow so I might get out soon. In the meantime though I'm off to the sunshine coast for a week so maybe I'll bring my watermaster and get out on some of that open water again!

Nothing but non-stop biblical monsoons here in the Vancouver area. No cold snap in sight here. Hopefully your chosen ice fishing spots freeze over soon.
"Fish Hard".

#4 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

I drove down to the coast earlier this week and most of the lower level lakes are still mostly open water. It won't be long though I'm guessing before they freeze over, one good cold snap ought to do it.

#5 User is offline   platypus Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

-- Ice on .... Ice off... for Skaha it's a guessing game. Lately been freezing over night and gone by mid afternoon. Of course ice is thickest at the boat launch.
-- Was thinking as ice is clear enough I'd try sitting the kayak on top of ice at the boat launch for photo op.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users