• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions for Pitt lake

#1 User is offline   blueback604 Icon

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

I just got my first boat, a little 14ft aluminum and zero experience fishin with it. The lake has a bit of everything in it including the salmon that run through to the upper Pitt river witch is pretty awesome. I think you can only access the upper by boat so probaly be some nice fishing but not sure. If anybody's got knowledge of the area please post thanks

#2 User is offline   speycaster Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I would find some place else to gain experience with your boat, Pitt lake can blow up nasty real quick. Nothing wrong with lowering the population of the lower mainland but do you really want to start the trend? If you stay around the lower end of the lake you can hide behind the island or sneak over to the marshes across from the boat launch, use to be some nice cutthroat fishing there, probably bass now. Use to be nice cutthroat up by the cabins on the west side.

#3 User is offline   blueback604 Icon

• PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

View Postspeycaster, on 09 October 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

I would find some place else to gain experience with your boat, Pitt lake can blow up nasty real quick. Nothing wrong with lowering the population of the lower mainland but do you really want to start the trend? If you stay around the lower end of the lake you can hide behind the island or sneak over to the marshes across from the boat launch, use to be some nice cutthroat fishing there, probably bass now. Use to be nice cutthroat up by the cabins on the west side.

thanks speycaster, heading out this coming weakend I will try your advice. I'll post later on how it went. Should be relitively empty since most are on the hunt for salmon. Cheers

#4 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

What are the bears like up there? I've always wanted to spend more time up that way, I love the old prospecting tales and ghost stories from that area. The great fishing is a bonus. :)

#5 User is offline   Happy Fisherman Icon

• PipPip
  • LocationMaple Ridge BC Canada

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I've got a new 17' boat that I plan on using in Pitt Lake more next year. I live in Maple Ridge 15 min from the Grant Narrows boat launch so that helps too. I'd like to do some trolling near the various creek mouths in the spring. I was out there quite a bit in the summer and fall and found a few decent spots on the fish-finder where fish seemed to be holding so I look forward to trying those as well.
"Fish Hard".

#6 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

What kind of boat did you get?

#7 User is offline   Happy Fisherman Icon

• PipPip
  • LocationMaple Ridge BC Canada

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostTrevor Shpeley, on 15 December 2011 - 01:11 AM, said:

What kind of boat did you get?

I picked up a 2011 Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. It's been my dream boat for a few years and it's awesome. Worth every penny. I wanted a boat that can handle the rougher weather on some of our big local lakes. It's great for tubing too.
"Fish Hard".

#8 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Nice!

#9 User is offline   flyfishingcouple Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

I run a 14'er and I steer well clear of the Pitt when the wind is blowing. I stick to the lower end entering from the Fraser.
A couple of things to remember about the area is it's tidal which means the height and speed of the water can and does change by the minute. What was a place you could run through the entire breadth and width of, can turn into a very small alleyway of navigatable water.
Sand bars, dead heads, appear and disappear with regularity.

That all being said it's a great place to boat provided you have a good depth sounder (GPS is an asset but definitely not necessary) as the water is often turbid, ALL the safety gear, as well as giving a trip plan to people who will miss you when you are missing. A good anchor with chain is always needed if fishing/boating moving water if not to fish from then to halt the craft when you need to. Chain should be as long as the craft and at least 1/2".
Only anchor the bow in running water!!! If you have swing problems use a drift sock to keep the craft relatively straight in a side wind etc.
Check the area on Google Earth the pics were taken in the summer, and that will show you much of the bars and logs you will have to worry about.

Stay safe!!!

Him

Edit: The Upper Pitt is only accessable via jet boat. Don't try it. I would also steer clear of running the lake TO there as well as it's going to be a 2 hour run there and the weather isn't going to care how long it takes you to get back. The lake regularly blows up at 11AM and keeps at it until dark more often than not.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users