• You cannot reply to this topic

Thinking about a crossbow Still planning to start hunting again

#1 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

After giving it some thought and remembering the type of hunting I did when I still hunted where I never ever shot a deer more than 50 feet away, (Didn't plan it that way, just seemed to happen), I'm thinking of buying a crossbow.

I don't have the dedication to become a good archer so a proper bow is out and crossbows excite the little kid in me somehow and I like the idea that I can go out and practice without getting swarmed by tree planting hippy chicks that don't like gunfire and all that implies.

Any suggestions for a CB? I've heard Ten Point were good and I know I want somewhere around 350 fps but I also don't want to break the bank if I don't have to. Any bows out there that offer good bang for the buck? (no pun intended)

This will be for close up deer only, and no, not for poaching ;) BTW, why do they make flashlights that screw on the front? Just sayin,,,,

#2 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Don't you know that crossbows are evil and should be outlawed because they promote unethical hunting??? :lol: :lol:

Having shot many different crossbow models over the years I've grown very fond on the Excalibur brand. It is my personal opinion that they are the best on the market today. Unlike many others Excalibur are in the business of making crossbows and nothing else long before they became popular.

In addition I like that the Excalibur crossbows do not use wheels and cams like compound bows. The reason I like that feature is that I can change a string in the field if needed, the bow is quiet and more reliable.

The downside to all crossbows is that they are heavy and somewhat cumbersome to maneuver around in the bush. Another aspect to consider is that, unlike the advertising promises,crossbows are a short distance weapon very similar to a good compound bow. While shooting distances up to 60 yards are possible in reality it's more like inside 30 yards for best success and sure kills.

Hope you get as hooked on it as I am and let us know how you progress. :)

#3 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

View PostTrevor Shpeley, on 24 September 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

BTW, why do they make flashlights that screw on the front? Just sayin,,,,
For poachers. :lol:

No not really. It's a gimmick to keep your hands free as you walk in the dark to you treestand or ground blind or back out after dark.

#4 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

• Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostHuntwriter, on 25 September 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

For poachers. :lol:

No not really. It's a gimmick to keep your hands free as you walk in the dark to you treestand or ground blind or back out after dark.

Funny they don't put those on big noisy rifles ;) Can you imagine how thrilled you would be rounding a curve on a trail and seeing a flashlight and gun pointed at your midsection? Or even a crossbow for that matter ;)

#5 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

I've been scoped a few times and it's not a pleasant feeling, neither would be having a light shining at you mounted to a barrel. Simple fact it the industry comes up with all sort of gimmicks most of them are not very practical. ;)

#6 User is offline   IronNoggin Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationPort Alberni

Post icon  Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostHuntwriter, on 25 September 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

... I've grown very fond on the Excalibur brand. It is my personal opinion that they are the best on the market today.

Times 10! I am familiar as well with several differing types of crossbows. Grabbed an Excalibur "Ibex" last winter, and am MORE than Pleased with it! Incredibly accurate! As in do NOT shoot at the same bulls-eye or risk running a second arrow up the butt on the first to target! Really! :blink:

Practiced a lot with this now, and have been dragging it along on many hunts this fall. Yet to connect with it, but that IS Coming!! ;)

So Swamp Thing, did you end up getting one? What kind if so...?

Cheers,
Nog
A Salt Weapon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users