blue grouse recipe

#1 User is offline   dry line Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Locationsurrey bc

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

hi there, this is my first posting on the hunting forum.

i went on my first hunting trip of my life on the weekend. i was targeting grouse and managed to get 2 blue's. it was awesome, but i have learned i can't aim. i will work on that.

i have a few questions and am seeking feedback.

-i plan to roast the grouse and need a recipe

-any suggestions on a brand/style/etc. of 20 gauge shotguns

-can you carve a new stock for a gun-i was using my late fathers gun that has had the stock broken then it was screwed back together, i would love to fix it for sentimental reasons

any and all help will be greatly appreciated. i look forward to becoming an active member of the site.

thank you, dryline

#2 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

View Postdry line, on 12 September 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

hi there, this is my first posting on the hunting forum.

i went on my first hunting trip of my life on the weekend. i was targeting grouse and managed to get 2 blue's. it was awesome, but i have learned i can't aim. i will work on that.

Glad to hear you had a great time and welcome to the hunting fraternity.

i have a few questions and am seeking feedback.

-i plan to roast the grouse and need a recipe

Not much of a recipe. I usually marinade grouse is a mix of herbs, red wine, mild mustard, black pepper corn, salt and sometimes I add a little whiskey. For other recipes search on the Internet, it's full of wild game recipes.

-any suggestions on a brand/style/etc. of 20 gauge shotguns.

For upland bird hunting I would recommend to go with a reliable side-by-side, over-under or pump-action shotgun. I usually do not recommend a particular brand because it is more important to find a gun that fits well and handles well in your hands than decide on a particular brand. To find out which gun that is visit a gun store and try as many different brands and styles of shotguns as possible, you will know which one feels right for you.

-can you carve a new stock for a gun-i was using my late fathers gun that has had the stock broken then it was screwed back together, i would love to fix it for sentimental reasons.

You certainly can carve your own gun stock but you're in for a hell of a job. My personal opinion is that it would be more reliable to take the gun to a gunsmith and have him fit a new stock. But then again, I am really all thumbs when it comes to woodworking. If you decide to do it yourself check out Cabela's. I am not 100% sure but I think they offer "home kits". These are usually pre-cut stocks that you then can finish and custom fit to the gun yourself, but be aware that you not purchase the cheapest as it usually is not very good wood quality. The stock of a gun is a very important part and should be of good quality wood with the grain flowing in the proper direction or the stock might split after a few years of use.

i look forward to becoming an active member of the site.

thank you, dryline

Here is looking forward to see you regularly here at the BC Outdoors forum and share your stories and advancements as a hunter with us. Never be shy to ask any questions you may have and we will try to answer to the best of our knowledge. Happy hunting.

#3 User is offline   dry line Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Locationsurrey bc

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

thanks huntwriter.

i will try that grouse recipe you suggest.

the gun i have is a 20 gauge side by side with 2 triggers, and besides the broken stock i think the gun is ok it does shoot.it is pretty old, it only holds 2 shells and i am hoping there are guns that will hold more. i am also wondering about choke selection.

all info is appreciated and needed

dryline

#4 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

• BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

View Postdry line, on 15 September 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

the gun i have is a 20 gauge side by side with 2 triggers, and besides the broken stock i think the gun is ok it does shoot.it is pretty old, it only holds 2 shells and i am hoping there are guns that will hold more. i am also wondering about choke selection.

All side-by-side and over-under shotguns can only hold two shells, one in each chamber. If you want more shells you would have to go with a pump action shotgun. Most of these old shotguns you describe come with permanent fixed chokes. Newer guns provide you with the option to use screw-in chocks. As to your question about choke selection. There are several considerations in the choice of chokes. These considerations are: Game and distance you want to shot and lastly the ammunition you're using. Not all ammunition performs the same shot through the same choke. What you strive for is a evenly spread pellet pattern from close up to your maximum shooting distance. This is achieved by changing chokes and ammunition configurations until you arrive at as ammo/choke "marriage" that performs well with your gun.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users