BC Outdoors Forum: Welcome new folk! - BC Outdoors Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Welcome new folk! Tell us about yourselves

#1 User is offline   Trevor Shpeley Icon

  • Forum Admin
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 287
  • Joined: 11-December 10

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Welcome to the board. I see lots of new faces signing up, how about telling us a few words about where you are from and what you like to do in the BC Outdoors?
0

#2 User is offline   fishdodger Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 14-January 11

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hi! I'm from Abbotsford and just retired last year. Always wanted to fish, but never had the time to try it. Thought I would join and learn from others who have some knowledge to share. I bought some basic spinning gear & will try Mill Lake when snow & ice melt - hopefully this weekend. Any suggestions?
0

#3 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

  • BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 03-May 10
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

hi and welcome to the BC Outdoors Forum. This is the hunting and shooting forum. Fishing is covered in the forum above this one.

Basic spinning gear is always good to get started. Before we moved to Merritt we lived in Langley and I always went to Mill Lake in Abbotsford on short notice trips. There are some big trout in that lake and near brush and cattail edge you will find trophy sized large mouth bass, but need almost a boat to get there.

Regular dew worms, shrimp and Powerbait (the pink stuff) always worked great for me on Mill Lake. I got the best results by suspending the lure just above the lake bottom. Small spoons (silver and go,gold) slow to moderate speed retrieve worked sometimes good too.

Good luck fishing and let us know how it is going.
0

#4 Guest_fishdodger_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

View PostHuntwriter, on 15 January 2011 - 12:56 AM, said:

hi and welcome to the BC Outdoors Forum. This is the hunting and shooting forum. Fishing is covered in the forum above this one.

Basic spinning gear is always good to get started. Before we moved to Merritt we lived in Langley and I always went to Mill Lake in Abbotsford on short notice trips. There are some big trout in that lake and near brush and cattail edge you will find trophy sized large mouth bass, but need almost a boat to get there.

Regular dew worms, shrimp and Powerbait (the pink stuff) always worked great for me on Mill Lake. I got the best results by suspending the lure just above the lake bottom. Small spoons (silver and go,gold) slow to moderate speed retrieve worked sometimes good too.

Good luck fishing and let us know how it is going.

0

#5 Guest_fishdodger_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hi! I went to Mill Lake this morning, used shrimp & suspended lure just above bottom & caught approx. 3lb rainbow trout. Thanx for the tips!! I really appreciate your help.
0

#6 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

  • BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 03-May 10
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

Congratulations. Glad I could help out.
0

#7 User is offline   604hunter Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 14-September 11

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hey all,

my name is Bob and I am new to the forum. love the mag.

I live in the lower mainland, even though it is at least 2 hours from everything I love to do. Fishing, camping, hiking, kayaking, snowboarding, mountain biking and of course hunting are the things that I always look forward to.

I have been fortunate this year, deer, moose, elk and bison are on my hunting agenda over the next 6 months. unfortunately, i used most of my vacay for camping this summer and will have to take unpaid leave for some of it. oh well, good problem to have if you ask me.

Had an amazing fishing season this year and am hoping the hunts will be as epic. I am sure they will be!

Cheers,

Bob
0

#8 User is offline   Huntwriter Icon

  • BC Outdoors Writer
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 03-May 10
  • LocationMerritt, BC

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

welcome to the BC Outdoors forum.

I am looking forward to read more about your fishing season and future hunting excursions. Good luck.
0

#9 User is offline   mac Icon

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 04-November 11

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

Happy I "found" this forum!!

I am a sturgeon junkie along with my 17 year old son.... Lived in Aldergrove until my split up, now in Maple Ridge.... mainly fish dino's and whatever else is in the mighty Fraser at that time!

Also hunt moose/deer any chance we get and have started doing some exploring around the lower part of the province with my new lady!

Shot my first grouse and rabbits at the ripe old age of 8, fished long before that and 40+ years of it, still get the thrill when I get out..... Just had a great weekend with my son in 8-05, but that is another story!!!

Mike
0

#10 User is offline   Kettlefisher Icon

  • Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-February 10
  • LocationGrand Forks, B.C.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

View Postmac, on 07 November 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

Happy I "found" this forum!!

I am a sturgeon junkie along with my 17 year old son.... Lived in Aldergrove until my split up, now in Maple Ridge.... mainly fish dino's and whatever else is in the mighty Fraser at that time!

Also hunt moose/deer any chance we get and have started doing some exploring around the lower part of the province with my new lady!

Shot my first grouse and rabbits at the ripe old age of 8, fished long before that and 40+ years of it, still get the thrill when I get out..... Just had a great weekend with my son in 8-05, but that is another story!!!

Mike



Welcome aboard Mike. Now tell all your friends !!

Bud
I am a rookie angler and until I have spent as much time on the water as I have working for a living I will remain a rookie......when I turn 113 I will consider myself to be an angler.
0

#11 User is offline   mac Icon

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 04-November 11

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Bud, I will!

I see a lot of the same "faces" as on many of the other forums.... wasn't really thinking when I registered..... my usual forum name is Leaseman..... B)

Mike
0

#12 User is offline   IronNoggin Icon

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 11-November 11
  • LocationPort Alberni

Post icon  Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

My name is Matt, and I have two SERIOUS Addictions: Hunting and Fishing!
I guide on the chuck (out of Ukee) each summer, and most years in Alberta for whitetails, mulies and elk. Missing this year due to impending surgery (this "growing old gracefully" stuff SUCKS BIG TIME!).

Putting in a LOT of time on The Rock chasing two Good Blacktails. Letcha know if I manage to connect!

Nice finding this site! ;)

Cheers,
Nog
A Salt Weapon
0

#13 User is offline   Kettlefisher Icon

  • Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-February 10
  • LocationGrand Forks, B.C.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostIronNoggin, on 11 November 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

My name is Matt, and I have two SERIOUS Addictions: Hunting and Fishing!
I guide on the chuck (out of Ukee) each summer, and most years in Alberta for whitetails, mulies and elk. Missing this year due to impending surgery (this "growing old gracefully" stuff SUCKS BIG TIME!).

Putting in a LOT of time on The Rock chasing two Good Blacktails. Letcha know if I manage to connect!

Nice finding this site! ;)

Cheers,
Nog



Good to see ya here Matt !!

Bud
I am a rookie angler and until I have spent as much time on the water as I have working for a living I will remain a rookie......when I turn 113 I will consider myself to be an angler.
0

#14 User is offline   shooter Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 27-November 11

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

View PostTrevor Shpeley, on 11 January 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Welcome to the board. I see lots of new faces signing up, how about telling us a few words about where you are from and what you like to do in the BC Outdoors?



Live on the coast, I fish, ride dual purpose bikes, was fishing in the fall but I was blown off the lake and ended up taging along with a buddy who was hunting, decided to check it out.....signed on here to learn more about guns before I buy. jafng following the crowd. g
0

#15 User is offline   Kettlefisher Icon

  • Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 26-February 10
  • LocationGrand Forks, B.C.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

View Postshooter, on 30 November 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

Live on the coast, I fish, ride dual purpose bikes, was fishing in the fall but I was blown off the lake and ended up taging along with a buddy who was hunting, decided to check it out.....signed on here to learn more about guns before I buy. jafng following the crowd. g



Good to have you here........Welcome !!!

Bud
I am a rookie angler and until I have spent as much time on the water as I have working for a living I will remain a rookie......when I turn 113 I will consider myself to be an angler.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users