by Susan Ingram, HCWS Director/Festival Marketing Coordinator
The 17th Annual Hyde Creek Salmon Festival is being held Sunday November 13, 2016 from 11:00 - 3:00 in Port Coquitlam.Hyde Creek Salmon Festival
Each fall, up to 5,000 visitors from around the Lower Mainland come out to celebrate the return of Coho and Chum Salmon back to their birthplace to lay and fertilize their eggs. Spawning time is the end these salmon’s lifespan and the beginning of the next generation.
This free family event of educational displays and interactive exhibits promotes environmental awareness, protection and stewardship in fun and fascinating ways.
Come out for a day of exploring, experiencing and learning about the salmon and wildlife in a fish-bearing watershed in which the cities of Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam call home. The Hyde Creek Watershed Society is a non-profit Association which relies on fundraising and Corporate Sponsorship to run the Salmon Enhancement Hatchery and Education Centre. The Society opens the Hatchery to the public Saturday mornings from 9:00 – 11:00, provides educational classes to hundreds of students each year as well as supplying Chum eggs to various Elementary school classes in School District No. 43.
Hyde Creek Salmon FestivalThe Festival is co-sponsored by the City of Port Coquitlam and receives corporate sponsorships from BIA Port Coquitlam, Fortis BC, Port Metro Vancouver, VanCity Morning Star Homes and Westminster Savings Credit Union. Event is held at the Port Coquitlam Recreation Centre at 1379 Laurier Avenue and The Hyde Creek Education Centre & Hatchery at 3636 Coast Meridian Road, in Port Coquitlam. Both venues are linked by a short trail along Hyde Creek, which is well-marked by colourful banners.
Highlights of the Festival will include:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada displaying live salmon (up close!)
- Orphaned Wildlife Society (OWL) exhibiting a live raptor
- Salmon dissections and microscope investigations
- A gigantic “blue fish” with live storyteller and interactive costumes
- Face painting and cookie decorating for the young-at-heart
- Enjoy refreshments at our fundraising BBQ, hosted by Save On Foods and the Culinary Students of District #43
- Looking for local flora and fauna on a guided nature walk
- Visit an operating salmon hatchery
- Opportunity to win exciting prizes at our Raffle table
- 36 Environmentally motivated Exhibitors
- New this year will be environmentally linked items for saleHyde Creek Salmon Festival
For more information on the event and the work done by the Hyde Creek Watershed Society, visit their website at www.hydecreek.org.